Monday 26 September 2011

Can Things Get Any Worse?


So for ages now I have been working towards shooting my first YouTube video and I’ve finally filmed what I thought would be my first segment only to find several problems.  Firstly the laptop I have that I was intending to edit on has a really sh*t graphics card. Although it is a HD laptop apparently it is still not good enough to edit HD video on. The logic for this escapes me. Also the green screen that I created is just not good enough, it is simply rubbish. Finally my own performance was diabolical.

These where three, seemingly, insurmountable problems that put me in a hideous mood all day on Sunday.  I thought I was finally getting somewhere with my studio plans, but no the God of all ‘oh no you don’t’ came down and smited me long and hard.  But the torment wasn’t just left to my filming aspirations, oh no, also my camera decided to pack up, break down, get f*cked and so did my Sky+ box (the second to do so).

I really thought that someone was trying to tell me something. My wife was annoyed as The X Factor was on and she couldn’t watch it. So I got the interweb up and made her at least a bit less pissed off with the fact that something we spend literally hundreds of pounds on a year didn’t work.

I started to work out if I could use either of my old cameras to film on, which in the end I couldn’t do properly, but just then the broken HD video / stills camera started to work again. Hopefully it won’t annoyingly die on me again. Then the Sky+ box started to work again and none of the recorded programs had disappeared so I was getting happier. Three things had failed and two of them were coming back to life.

This just leaves the filming stuff. I think I know why I was so cr*p. I think I know why the green screen didn’t work and I think I will be getting my old edit suite dusted down to give me the power to edit properly, it’s just sitting in my Father-in-law’s office getting unused.  It was just so annoying to have so many problems and doubly annoying to feel so bad and be told constantly by my wife that I was grumpy all day.

So my conclusion is this a) If your technology lets you down, give it a breather and see if it is just a glitch before placing a steel toe capped boot through it. b) If you let yourself down just relax and learn from your cock ups and try again, and maybe by the time you have calmed down your tech will work to. And finally, this one is for everyone else c) Maybe if you know someone who is not on top form and having a bad day because everything is going wrong just maybe you should stop calling them grumpy and pointing out how horrible they are and try and cheer them the f*ck up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment